November 04, 2014

My Secret Found at the McMichael

Exhibiting at the McMichael's Autumn Art Sale was an amazing experience.

My booth display.

As soon as I drove into their entrance for the very first time, I felt like I belonged. All of my art-show-preparation-anxiety completely dissipated. Suddenly, the noisy traffic was behind me. The speed limit slowed down to 25 km/hour. Rounding each turn felt like being on a new adventure.

Above, a canopy of Autumn-coloured trees stretched into the distance. Below, spots of warm sunlight splashed upon the long driveway.

Autumn maple tree.

What a perfect welcoming!

After my booth was set up, I checked out the MLM exhibit "Morrice and Lyman in the Company of Matisse". I've always admired Matisse's confident lines and bold colours and then discovered similarities in both Morrice's and Lyman's style.

Long grass around Professor's Lake, Brampton

I was further captivated by all the quotes that adorned the walls. This one in particular really spoke to me:

"Slowly I discovered the secret of my art. It consists of a meditation on nature, on the expression of a dream which is always inspired by reality." –Henri Matisse

Gingko tree, Toronto.

Perhaps that's also my secret?!

Nature has always been my source for ideas, adventure and clearing my head. Photographing nature feels like my own form of meditation. Transforming those photos of reality feels like creating a dream.

Maples painting with reflection. 

It was a weekend of connecting... with 50 other artists, with their nature-based art, with the trees that surrounded the gallery and... with Henri Matisse. How honoured I felt to exhibit my own artwork right around the corner from his original paintings.

Thank you to all the staff, volunteers and artists at McMichael, for providing such a warm and friendly atmosphere. And thank you Matisse, for helping me understand even more, my reason for making art.

Click here to view available artwork or email me with any inquiries.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:22 pm

    I'm so glad that everything went well for you with this show! Thanks for sharing your story! The McMichael grounds are quite beautiful, and I'm not surprised that it was so moving for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura! It really does feel like you're floating in the trees up there. Makes me want to paint branches on all my windows :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete